Tutorial - FTP server replacement
How to read this tutorial
- The tutorial does not cover all features of Accsyn, just a selected set.
- Entries in Bold are made up data for this tutorial only, here you provide your own data as appropriate.
- Labels in Italic correspond to the name of an input were you enter data.
- Text in [ BRACKETS ] denotes a button within user interface, were LINK points out a link - for example a navigation link.
This tutorial is targeted:
- Companies frequently using FTP as file transfer solution and/or WeTransfer® .
- Have transfers go at maximum speed.
- Increase security, no files stored in the cloud and replace FTP with a solution supporting encryption.
- Stop handling and remember user logins and password.
- Give users an option to greatly speed up file transfers.
- Easy create shared folders were clients can collaborate.
- Have central monitoring that is mobile phone/table friendly.
- Increase the storage space from WeTransfer® limited 100GB.
This tutorial is a complete walkthrough covering:
- Requesting a hosted Accsyn storage to be setup.
- Inviting another employee that should have full access to storage.
- Quickly share a project folder with an user, being able to write subfolder.
- Using the desktop app to upload a huge file package.
The following guide is a short summary of the installation process described in detail here: Accsyn Admin Manual
- Register your domain @ https://customer.accsyn.com
- Follow the guide to initialise domain.
- Install server; when the guide instructs you to install the Accsyn daemon, download and install it on your current file transfer server ("alpha").
- Network; the guide will ask you to configure your firewall, add NAT port forwards 45190-45210 (tcp) to file transfer server "alpha". Note that Accsyn daemon DOES NOT listen to any ports 24/7, it will only start a listening process during file transfer init, software firewalled to accept incoming connections from remote client WAN IP only.
- Root share; Browse to were the disk is mounted on server [/net/vol].
- Finish installation.
By now you have a fully working file transfer solution that can be used by external user to receive and send back large file packages at high speed (i.e. an accelerated encrypted FTP server replacement). We are now going to continue and make file transfers submitted by Python scripts to enable an automised workflow
Inviting another employee (optional)
In this tutorial, we describe how you invite another employee* to Accsyn that should manage users and shares. This is of course optional.
*) Accsyn users can have one of the following three roles (clearance levels):
- Admin; Are allowed to administer Accsyn and access all shares.
- Employees; Access all shares, create shares and invite users.
- Users; Can only access shares given explicit access to (default clearance).
Let's invite employee "sven@acmefilm":
- Logon to your Accsyn, https://acmefilm.accsyn.com in this tutorial.
- In Transfers view, click the invite user button or go to ADMIN>USERS and click [ INVITE USER ].
- Enter "sven@acmefilm" and click [ NEXT ].
- For Clearance, choose "Employee".
- Click [ + INVITE ] to create user and send invitation. User will get an E-mail for activating their account and be able to logon to Accsyn.
Sharing a folder
We assume we have a film project called "myfilm" and want employee Sven to share it so freelancer "firstname.lastname@example.org" can read the "myfilm" folder, but only upload to subfolder "TO_ACMEFILM":
- Sven logs on to your Accsyn, https://acmefilm.accsyn.com in this tutorial. Can be done from a mobile device if on the road without access to a desktop browser.
- On dashboard, Sven clicks the create [ SHARE ] shortcut or go to ADMIN>SHARES and click [ CREATE SHARE ].
- Create folder "myfilm", select it and click [ NEXT ].
- Enter a name for share, in this tutorial we choose "myfilm". Click [ CREATE ], the share will be created and you will be redirected to the ACL editor - were you give user's access to share directories.
- You will be taken to the ACL edit, click [SHARE DIRECTORY].
- Click [ NEXT ]
- Beneath User, choose Invite new and enter "email@example.com". Leave Write unchecked and click [ GRANT ACCESS ]. Confirm to invite new user to Accsyn, they will get an activation E-mail with instructions on how to finalise join.
- User now can read the folder "myfilm" @ storage. To give write access, click [ SHARE DIRECTORY] once more.
- Create the folder "TO_ACMEFILM" by clicking the create folder (folder with + sign) in upper right corner. Select the newly create "TO_ACMEFILM" folder and click [ NEXT ].
- Beneath User, choose Select and select "firstname.lastname@example.org" in the list, tick Write checkbox and finalise by clicking [ GRANT ACCESS ].
The user now can read (download) files from storage/myfilm, and upload to storage/myfilm/TO_ACMEFILM.
Uploading a huge file package to the share
For smaller (<2GB) file packages, users can user the browser to upload and download files. In this example, we show how a newly invited user uploads a folder with 1TB of data using Accsyn fast transfer desktop app:
- After user have been invited and activated their account (chosen password) the receive a join confirmation E-mail with links to desktop app.
- Follow the link to desktop app, login when necessary.
- Download the installer matching your operating system.
- Install and launch the desktop app.
- Drag-n-drop the large folder that should be uploaded on Accsyn app.
- When it ask to autostart transfer, choose [ No I want to review].
- Instead of dropoff into home share, choose Browse and select "myfilm" share.
- Step into "TO_ACMEFILM" folder and finalise by clicking [ SUBMIT ].
Transfer will now start and can be tracked both through desktop app and by logging into https://acmefilm.accsyn.com.
More usage examples
For information on how to use the desktop app or the web application/portal, consider the Accsyn User Manual.
For more tutorials, head over to support.accsyn.com.